Ph.D. in Philosophy, Vanderbilt University, 2019 (Expected)
Fulbright E.T.A., Bochum, Germany, 2011-12
M.A. in Philosophy, University of Houston, 2011
Thesis: “The Psychological Nature of Virtue and the Unity of the Virtuous Life” | Chair: Cynthia Freeland; Advisors: David K. Phillips, S. Tamler Sommers
St. Edward’s University, B.A. in Philosophy (Minors: Religious Studies, German), 2009
Summa Cum Laude in the Honors Program
Thesis: “On Why Film Cannot Be Philosophy” | Advisor: Peter A. Wake
8 Areas of Specialization
Ethics (esp. Virtue Ethics & Bioethics); Moral Psychology
Areas of Competence
Metaethics; Ancient Greek; Philosophy of Art; 19th Century German
- "From Taquería to Medical School: Juan Carlos, Aristotle, Cognitive Enhancements, and the Good Life," Techné: Research in Philosophy and Technology, Online-first (15 Sept 2017).
- “Reasons to Care about Reasons for Action: A Response to Paul S. Davies,” Southwest Philosophy Review, vol. 32, no. 2 (July 2016): pp. 43-8.
- “Understanding the Phenomenon and Aesthetic of Horror,” St. Edward’s University McNair Scholars Journal, Fall 2009, Volume I, pp. 63-82.
- "Mutant," 50-Word Stories, 8 September 2017. Story of the Week for 10 September.
- "Sudsy Surrender," 50-Word Stories, 27 June 2017.
- "What Drives a Man," Dime Show Review, 6 May 2017.
- "There," Sci Phi Journal, 21 April 2017.
- "Purge," Sorin Oak Review, St. Edward’s U’s Creative Journal, Volume 17 (2007), p. 64.
- "Let Us Tell Our Own Stories," The Chronicle of Higher Education, published online 17 September 2017.
- "Proud of Nashville's climate stand," The Tennessean, Letters to the editor, 6 June 2017.
- “Swain offers misguided interpretations,” The Tennessean, Letters to the editor, 30 May 2016.
- Intro. to Philosophy (Thematic Focus: The Arts of Living and Dying), Vanderbilt University, Fall 2016
- General Logic, Vanderbilt University, Spring 2016
- Intro. to Philosophy (Thematic Focus: Friendship), Vanderbilt University, Fall 2015
- Bioethics and Biotechnology (one-hour section), Vanderbilt University, Spring 2015
- Critical Thinking, Summer Institute for College Bound St. Louis, 2013 & 2014
- Science, North Plains Opportunity Center, Dumas, Texas, 2012-13
- Instructor of Technology, St. Edward’s University’s Department of Instructional Technology, 2005-09
Conference Presentations and Invited Lectures
- “No Laughing Matter: Play and a Good Life,” 3 Minute Thesis, Vanderbilt, 31 March 2017. Slide. YouTube (Time stamp: 33 min, 26 sec).
- “How to Write a Philosophy Paper,” Vanderbilt Writing Studio, 21 Oct. 2016
- “Naturalism in Neo-Aristotelian Virtue Ethics: What It Is and Why It Matters,” Tennessee PA Annual Meeting, Vanderbilt, 31 Oct. 2015
- “Quinean Naturalism without Quine: Using Virtue to Naturalize Ethics,” Virtue Ethics Through the Ages, University of Missouri—St. Louis, 6. Mar. 2015
- “How to Be a Stoic in Three Easy Steps,” Guest Lecture in Dr. John Lachs’ Intro. to Ethics, Vanderbilt, 18 Feb. 2015
- “Pre-Implantation Genetic Diagnosis/Profiling and Ethics,” Guest Presentation, Schiller-Schule, 7 May 2012
- “Utopian and Dystopian Themes in English-Language Literature,” Guest Presentation, Schiller-Schule, 30 Jan 2012
- “Virtue Ethics and Cultural Diversity: Objectivity, Eudaimonia, and the Virtues,” Poster Presentation, U of Houston Honors College, 3 May 2011
- “The Psychological Nature of Virtue and the Unity of the Virtuous Life,” Public Thesis Defense, U of Houston Dept. of Philosophy, 22 April 2011.
- "Student Research in Philosophy of Art", University of Houston Effective Teaching Practices Showcase, U of Houston, 22 Apr. 2010, Co-Presented with Dr. Cynthia Freeland
- “Hume and Bourdieu on Taste: Classifying Art or the Classifier?” Guest Lecture in Dr. Cynthia Freeland’s Intro. to Philosophy and the Arts, U of Houston, 27 Oct. 2010
- “Monsters and Psychopaths: Noël Carroll’s Art-Horror and Cynthia Freeland’s Realist Horror,” Guest Lecture in Dr. Cynthia Freeland’s Intro. to Philosophy and the Arts, U of Houston, 20 Sept. 2010
- “From Bentham to Mill; or, From Mere Pleasure to Eudaimonia,” Guest Lecture in Dr. Tamler Sommers’ Intro. to Ethics, U of Houston, 18 Feb. 2010
- “On Why Film Cannot Be Philosophy,” St. Edward’s University Honors Thesis Symposium, St. Edward’s U, 24 Apr. 2009
- “Hegel’s ‘Art Religion,’ Danto’s ‘End of Art’ and Delvoye’s ‘Cloaca,’” Guest Lecture in Dr. Peter Wake’s Aesthetics, St. Edward’s U, 19 Feb. 2009
- “Giordanos ‘Das Experiment,’” Presentation in Dr. Kerstin Somerholter’s German Film, St. Edward’s U, 26 Jan. 2009 (Presented in German)
- "Art Then and Now: The Public and Moral Roles of Art," Symposium of Undergraduate Research and Creative Expression, St. Edward's U, 11 Apr. 2008
- "Understanding the Phenomenon and Aesthetic of Horror," 16th Annual Ronald E. McNair Scholars National Research Conference and Graduate School Fair, Delvan, WI: Mid-America Association of Educational Opportunity Program Personnel & U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 3 Nov. 2007. Presented previously at: 8th Annual U of Incarnate Word Ronald E. McNair Research Symposium, 7 Sep. Presented previously at: Ronald E. McNair Symposium, U Notre Dame, 2 Aug. 2007.
- "Wicked Tenants Through the Eyes of Mark and Thomas," Symposium of Undergraduate Research and Creative Expression, St. Edward's U, 13 Apr. 2007
- On John Bengson, Terence Cuneo, and Russ Shafer-Landau’s “Are Moral Intuitions Trustworthy? Some Reidian Reflections,” Social Political Thought Workshop, Vanderbilt, 19 Nov. 2015
- On Paul S. Davies, “Giving Reasons for What We Do: Integrating Affective and Cognitive Neuroscience,” Southwestern Philosophical Society 77th Annual Meeting, Vanderbilt, 7 Oct. 2015.
- On John R. Fitzpatrick’s Starting with Mill, Tennessee PA 47th Annual Meeting, Vanderbilt, 31 Oct. 2015.
- On Emily McGill’s “The Unwelcome Implications of Feminist Strong Substantive Autonomy,” Tennessee PA 46th Annual Meeting, Vanderbilt, 25 Oct. 2014.
Honors and Awards
- Vanderbilt University Department of Philosophy First Year Teaching Award, 2015
- Vanderbilt University Graduate Fellowship, 2014-19
- University of Houston Department of Philosophy Teaching Assistantship, 2009-11
- St. Edward’s University Presidential Award, 2009
- St. Edward’s University Honors Program, 2005-09
- St. Edwards’ University Holy Cross Scholar, 2005-09
- Valero Scholarship Trust, 2005-09
- Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship, 2005-09
- St. Edward’s University Dean’s List, 2005-09
- St. Edward’s University Dean’s List Scholarship, 2006-09
- Recognizing All Valuable Employees Award at St. Edward’s U, 2008
- Ehrenauszeichung, German Summer School, University of New Mexico, 2008
- Lilian Cervenka Scholarship (Outstanding philosophy student), St. Edward’s U, 2007-08
- Research Award, University of Notre Dame McNair Scholars Program, 2007
- Moreau House Collegiate (Lived with Congregation of Holy Cross), 2006-07
German (Advanced), Attic Greek (Intermediate), Spanish (Intermediate)
Other Service and Accomplishments
- Article Reviewer, American Society for Aesthetics Graduate E-Journal, 2010 - present
- Graduate Student Representative, U. of Houston Dept. of Philosophy Hiring Committee, 2010
- Co-coordinator, Graduate Discussion Group in Matters Philosophical, U of Houston, 2010
- St. Edward’s U Philosophy Club (Organizer for film discussions and grad. school prep.), 2005-09
- Associate Editor, Arete (St. Edward’s U’s Undergraduate Academic Journal), 2006-09
- Co-founder, co-coordinator, and discussion facilitator; 360 (Faith, religion, and philosophy dialogue group at St. Edward’s U), 2006-09
- Texas Independent College Foundation Ethics in Business Match (Two-time competitor for St. Edward’s U), 2007-08
- University of Notre Dame Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Research Program, 2007
- Theta Alpha Kappa Religious Studies Honors Fraternity, 2006