Ph.D. in Philosophy, Vanderbilt University, 2019 (Expected)
- Dissertation: "No Laughing Matter: Play and a Good Life" | Chair: John Lachs; Advisors: Jeffrey Tlumak, Robert B. Talisse, Kelly Oliver, Christian B. Miller
M.A. in Philosophy, University of Houston, 2011
- Thesis: “The Psychological Nature of Virtue and the Unity of the Virtuous Life” | Chair: Cynthia Freeland; Advisors: David K. Phillips, S. Tamler Sommers
B.A. in Philosophy (Minors: Religious Studies, German), St. Edward’s University, 2009
- Summa Cum Laude in the Honors Program
- Thesis: “On Why Film Cannot Be Philosophy” | Advisor: Peter A. Wake
AOS: Ethics (esp. Virtue Ethics & Bioethics); Moral Psychology
AOC: Metaethics; Philosophy of Art; Ancient Greek; 19th Century German
- "From Taquería to Medical School: Juan Carlos, Aristotle, Cognitive Enhancements, and the Good Life," Techné: Research in Philosophy and Technology, Online-first (15 Sept 2017).
- “Reasons to Care about Reasons for Action: A Response to Paul S. Davies,” Southwest Philosophy Review, vol. 32, no. 2 (July 2016): pp. 43-8.
- “Understanding the Phenomenon and Aesthetic of Horror,” St. Edward’s University McNair Scholars Journal, Fall 2009, Volume I, pp. 63-82.
- "The Marvel," 50-Word Stories, 4 October 2017.
- "Mutant," 50-Word Stories, 8 September 2017. Story of the Week for 10 September.
- "Sudsy Surrender," 50-Word Stories, 27 June 2017.
- "What Drives a Man," Dime Show Review, 6 May 2017.
- "There," Sci Phi Journal, 21 April 2017.
- "Purge," Sorin Oak Review, St. Edward’s U’s Creative Journal, Volume 17 (2007), p. 64.
- "The Friends of Sisyphus: Or, the Meanings Relationships Give Us," 3 Quarks Daily, 27 Nov. 2017.
- "Let Us Tell Our Own Stories," The Chronicle of Higher Education, published online 17 September 2017.
- "Proud of Nashville's climate stand," The Tennessean, Letters to the editor, 6 June 2017.
- “Swain offers misguided interpretations,” The Tennessean, Letters to the editor, 30 May 2016.
University Teaching Experience
Intro. to Ethics | Intro. to Philosophy (Thematic Focuses on "The Arts of Living and Dying" and "Friendship") | General Logic | Bioethics and Biotechnology (one-hour section)
Representative Presentations and Lectures
- “What Race Terms Do: Du Bois, Biology, and Psychology on the Meanings of ‘Race’,” Southwestern Philosophical Society 79th Annual Meeting, Baylor, 5 Nov. 2017.
- “No Laughing Matter: Play and a Good Life,” 3 Minute Thesis, Vanderbilt, 31 March 2017. Slide. YouTube (Time stamp: 33 min, 26 sec).
- “Naturalism in Neo-Aristotelian Virtue Ethics: What It Is and Why It Matters,” Tennessee PA Annual Meeting, Vanderbilt, 31 Oct. 2015
- “Quinean Naturalism without Quine: Using Virtue to Naturalize Ethics,” Virtue Ethics Through the Ages, University of Missouri—St. Louis, 6. Mar. 2015
- “Virtue Ethics and Cultural Diversity: Objectivity, Eudaimonia, and the Virtues,” Poster Presentation, U of Houston Honors College, 3 May 2011
- "Art Then and Now: The Public and Moral Roles of Art," Symposium of Undergraduate Research and Creative Expression, St. Edward's U, 11 Apr. 2008
- "Understanding the Phenomenon and Aesthetic of Horror," 16th Annual Ronald E. McNair Scholars National Research Conference and Graduate School Fair, Delvan, WI: Mid-America Association of Educational Opportunity Program Personnel & U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 3 Nov. 2007. Presented previously at: 8th Annual U of Incarnate Word Ronald E. McNair Research Symposium, 7 Sep. Presented previously at: Ronald E. McNair Symposium, U Notre Dame, 2 Aug. 2007.
German (Advanced), Attic Greek (Intermediate), Spanish (Intermediate)